Thursday, April 8, 2010

What's for Dinner?

How often do we hear this frustrating question.
I think it's frustrating because , well what do i look like, a chef.
Would anyone else like to offer a suggestion on what to feed the entire family and hope that everyone is pleased with the decision.
What if we broke away from "normal" dinner foods and offered a selection " a free for all" of cooked and raw vegetables, some fruit a good meat/protein source and a "GOOD" fat source. (yes i said fat)
I know what your thinking, my child would never go for that.

What if they were given the choice of what they put on their plates, would they be enticed.....maybe a little.
Damn straight they would, especially if that's all you offered.
This way of eating actually simplifies the dreaded thought of what to feed the family.

The checklist:
Lean Meat source
Vegetable or small amount of fruit (Carbohydrate)
Good Fat source derived from animal fat, avocado, coconut oil/milk

They will not starve to death over not eating ONE meal.
I can tell you that if your child is hungry, they will eat.....Perseverance

Give it a try, i would love to hear of what you come up with.

This was our dinner:
Cajun Atlantic Salmon
Rocket, Spanish onion and cucumber ribbons
Orange segments and a Garlic Mayo sauce
This is what the girls ate (in record time mind you)
Atlantic Salmon
Baby spinach
Carrot ribbons
Capsicum and orange segments

4 comments:

Ali said...

Oh wow Sarah, I loved the other blog but this one is 100 times better and cute to boot! I will be a frequent visitor I can assure you. I have been laying in bed contemplating this idea of the smorgasboard more. It shall be our new way of eating. I have done it before and it is always a hit. I need to make it a full time thing, that goes for lunches as well. Fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing your great ideas. ox Ali

Sarah McFarlane said...

Aw,thanks Ali.I'm super keen to learn new ways to continue to make this blog 'cute to boot'.
Thanks for being my 1st follower.
If this blog finds a few mums that choose to adapt this way of eating, it will be worth it.
Thanks Sarah

Sarah Jane said...

I made this for Jack this afternoon for his dinner. It's a great way to let him pick what he wants. Sweet potato, leek, onion, bacon frittata with home made ketchup, and kiwi fruit and grapes. mmm. I can't figure out how to post a photo...help?

Sarah McFarlane said...

Sounds good, did he take more than he ate?
I will have to check the settings to see if you can post photos.I think it would be good if you could.

Post a Comment